Sunday, August 28, 2016

I'm a lottery winner -- many times over

As I'm taking stock of things, I'm looking at the gaps between where I am and where I want to be, and what I need to do to get there.  In order to really do this exercise right, I have to be brutally honest with myself.  This means owning my faults, my weaknesses (which, of course, I have -- I lay no claim to perfection), and maybe realizing where along the way I should have zigged when I really zagged.  And, if I'm not careful, I know that I can wind up beating myself up, which can lead to me dragging myself in the gutter for a good wallow in my shortcomings.  I think that's OK once in a while, to do it briefly, but I can get lost there sometimes, and it takes a *lot* of energy to pull myself back out.

But, not going there this time around.

All I have to do is realize how odds-defyingly lucky I am to have the life I have.

The way I look at it, I'm a lottery winner many times over.

I was born in a country with amazing opportunities and freedoms.

I was adopted by a loving family.  Sure, like most people, there's times I wondered "how in the world did I wind up with this bunch?, but never once have I question my family's unconditional support and love.

I have a knack for science and logical thinking.  I've done well as a computer science geek, electrical engineer and lawyer, and doing well in those fields has provided me with great opportunities.

I consider myself a pretty healthy guy.  I know, sounds like the last thing someone who has had stage III colorectal cancer and now poops in a bag hanging off his stomach would say, but I believe this.  The cancer thing was an aberration.  Like being shot by a stray bullet.  I've proved to myself that my body is still highly functional and capable, and as long as I take care of my body and my mind, I should be here a long time.

So, I view where I was born, the family I was adopted by, my technical skills, and my health are all lotteries that I won.  There's plenty of people out there who would love to have the "problems" I have, such as they are.

I feel beyond fortunate and blessed to be in my position.

I just owe it to myself, my friends and family, to live the best life I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment